Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It's time -- apply NOW! UDS -O

Even if you don't think they will sponsor you (I did not), apply.

Even if you don't think you know enough (I felt that way), apply.

Even if you don't think you are important enough (I wasn't, and am not), apply.

Even if you are a minority, a woman, in the "out" group (I was, and am), apply.

Even if you don't know what "UDS" stand for (Ubuntu Developer Summit), apply.

Even if you don't consider yourself a "developer" (I didn't either), apply!

What's the worst that can happen, after all? Canonical can say no, and then you'll have to attend remotely. But what if the best happens, and they say YES? They told me yes, and flew me to Florida! The travel agents arranged to have me fly in early, so I could spend some time with my long-time friend who lives north of Orlando. (This time, the city is Budapest!)

If you are sponsored, they will work with you, too. Creating a diverse working environment is one of the most important values of Canonical, to make Ubuntu for Humans. So if you have an interest, apply. See Jono's blog post for more information: http://www.jonobacon.org/2011/02/23/ubuntu-developer-summit-sponsorship-now-open/.

This is new; we now have an explicit anti-harrassment policy: http://uds.ubuntu.com/harassment/

Ubuntu-Women has a UDS resource page: http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/UDS

I've written a couple of UDS-related posts, during and after UDS-N in Orlando last year: Surviving, Thriving at Ubuntu Developer Summits and UDS and You, Wherever You Are

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I am Binny Thomas, representing the website Ubuntu Manual. As the name suggests UM is a site that delivers content related to Ubuntu, its derivatives and related software. We are looking to expand our website and are seeking talented writers familiar with Ubuntu or similar open source software to include in our community of writers.

    We had come across your blog on the web and was wondering whether you would be interested in writing for us. We can provide sufficient compensation for your writings and would love to have you as one of our writers.

    I will provide you with the rest of the details if you are interested. You can contact me at binny.thomas((at))zyxware.com

    Cheers,
    --
    Binny Thomas,
    Ubuntu Manual

    ReplyDelete